background

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Hometown Glory

Going home is something that I always look forward to. Kyle says its not going "home" its going to my parents' house. (again, with the sillyness...) But, either way, going back to Stonewall is always a treat. There's something about going to the place you grew up that can always bring a smile to your face. This past weekend was a long time coming. We were all there - Robin & Ryan and both their kids, John Ryan & Nora, Randi & Bill, and Me & Kyle. Not very often are well all there at the same time.

Saturday, me, Randi and Mom spent the day cleaning out boxes (from all stages of our lives). Robin came later to find the stack of her stuff we were already making. We laughed at the funniest things we would find: old pictures, letters from mom to Robin at college her freshman year(back before cell phones and email!), and mounds of Randi's college art stuff. We looked through old baby pictures, dance pitures, and even an old Speak and Spell! (If you didn't have one of those growing up and you're not hearing the voice right now in the back of your head, you won't understand the laughs we had when we found it) It was a long, tiring, but fun day.

Randi surrounded by her "Stuff" (sorry for the blurry picture)
While we worked with Mom, the boys helped Dad put a new roof on one of his buildings out back. They came home with the funniest stories about being chased by wasps, scooting across rotted boards, and not knowing what in the world they were doing. We should've videoed their time outside!

The Adele song I posted above has become a new favorite. It's how I feel when I go back sometimes. Will Kyle and I ever live there? I'm still not sure. I don't know if it'll feel the same if I'm there all the time. This weekend I got to see two close friends and their kiddos. It's like in my mind nothing has changed but I go back and all my girlfriends are moms and I realize how much it has. Life is funny like that.

the chorus goes like this:
"Round my hometown, memories are fresh
Round my hometown, ooh, the people I've met
Are the wonders of my world, are the wonders of my world,
Are the wonders of this world, are the wonders... "

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love that Adele song. Well, all Adele songs actually. Anyhow, I totally appreciate your thoughts on your hometown - for so long I've thought wistfully about going back to Austin, but but I think I've finally transitioned to claiming a new hometown, one that belongs to us as a couple and I'm now appreciating a place that's had and will continue to have a formative role in our relationship. I'm finally home again.

    ReplyDelete