background

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

summer insomnia

Last night I couldn't sleep. This is nothing new for me in the summer time. See, I'm a sleeper (and, I'm pretty good at it) and I enjoy the amount of sleep I'm able to get in the summer days. But, with endless days of sleeping late, comes nights of not being able to find sleep. Kyle had been asleep for a couple of hours before I even made the attempt to go to bed. After searching for Zzz's for about an hour and a half, I finally ventured to the couch. Bummer - sleeping on the couch. An hour later, and two episodes of House Hunters International plus milk and Oreos, I think I finally fell asleep. 

The point? Kyle woke me up this morning. The voice behind his question of, "Why are you on the couch?" was priceless. It was full of meaning. He was worried that something was wrong, that I was upset, or strangely concerned that maybe I had gotten up before him. My husband is often energetic, full of excitement, and passionate in every emotion (and I often poke fun at him for this "over-the-top-ness") but his emotion of concern over me is one that I always am grateful for. He cares for me and worries when I don't - even if I just couldn't sleep. Later when talking to him on the phone he reminded me that he didn't like waking up and me not being in bed. He's so silly, unexpected, and great. 

As I sit here writing, I see my African Shaker that I brought home from Togo. 

my "bug-infested African church shaker"
He's been begging me to throw it away. The beads are starting to fall off and there's holes in it now, dust surrounding it on the desk. He's convinced that I've brought some sort of "African bug" home that's invading his house. But to me, I just can't get rid of it. That was a year of many experiences, but one of the best parts is that it was a year that brought he and I closer. It's weird the things you find symbolism in, things you can't seem to let go. I guess I could throw it away... I know I should. But secretly, I kind of like hearing him rant about the "bugs" I brought home with me, so I won't trash it yet.

rbs

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rachel! Luv the blog! Way to go girl...

    DON'T THROW THAT SHAKER AWAY!!!

    Blessings to you guys!

    ReplyDelete