background

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Day 7: A picture of someone that has had the biggest impact on you

       There are two couples that have had quite an impact on me. Living alongside of Murphy & Christine Crowson and Marty & Louise Koonce was one of the biggest blessings that God has given me. It was just 10 short months, but in those months I learned more about faith, family, and love than I have in my entire life. They showed me what faithful prayer is all about, always giving everything over to God and giving up all control to Him. I had never known how intimate and powerful prayer could be until hearing their prayers and seeing the power that they held. They also showed me how a family can be fully dependent on each other and exist to only make each other better. I was raised in an amazing family who loved each other fully, but I hadn't had an opportunity as an adult to see parenting like I did in these couples. They raise their boys to live fully for God and no one else. They love them unconditionally and teach them to be strong men of faith. Lastly, I learned from these two couples what true, Godly marriages look like. Being away from family, they have each other to lean on and their marriages are amazing for that. In the States, we have so much to depend on that often we don't realize how valuable our spouses truly are. We lose sight of the bond that God created marriage to be. Spending the time with them that I did before getting married has truly been a blessing to mine and Kyle's marriage. I saw how couples can pray, sing, and praise together in everything they do.

Thank you for taking a chance on me and teaching me more than you'll ever realize - love you all.
Murphy & Christine - they are such a sweet spirited couple. This week people around the world are rejoicing with them as they go to pick up their baby girl from China after years of prayer for their "Precious"! They'll go from a family of four with two boys to a family of five. I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing them this December! 


Marty & Louise - this is my favorite picture of them! Marty's always thinking of something witty to say while someone else is talking and Louise always has her camera ready to take the next shot. They're parents of four, but act like to teenagers still oogely in love. 
       Next, I must tell you about my parents. The two couples listed above are amazing, but you can never beat a girl's parents.  My parents are great for a million reasons and I could go on and on about them. But I'll just give you the top five reasons why they've had the biggest impact on me.
1. They encouraged me to be me.  They always told me to stand up for who I was and encouraged me to always be true to who I am. They never held me back and always pushed me forward.
2.  My parents trusted me. Now, they may have questioned my whereabouts from time to time (which was warranted) but they always treated me like I could make my decisions. Whether it be wanting to leave the country (twice), friends I chose, or meeting my future hubby, they backed me. They took me at my word and were there to hear my side of the story.
3.  Mom - she's always wanted best for me.  She gets feisty on my behalf but never lets me throw myself a pity party. When I was upset with someone or got in a silly dramatic girl fight her first response was always, "Well, what could you have done different?" or "What did you do to them?" She never allowed me to take the stance of "they hurt me" but instead always wanted me to see how my actions could always change the outcome of a situation. She taught me to be respectful and as much of a lady as possible. In Terrie B's house there are no S words.
4. Dad - well, you can see a lot about him here, but here's the basics: he taught me what hard work is. He raised three girls (with mom's help of course) to be strong women. He took my side everytime I needed it most, whether it be a run-in with an adult or crappy boyfriend, he stood by me without getting too involved.
5. They together, have stuck it out. My parents have been married for over 30 years and for them that's just how it is. Along with every other couple in America - they could've ran at any point, but they didn't. To me, that's the best thing parents can give their children. To this day, I'm grateful they never gave up.

Dad in Mom in a village in Togo. To this day - still probably my favorite picture of them. 

Looking for a picture of the three of us was pretty hard! Apparently, I need to take one soon. :)  xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Alright squirt! You've done it now. I actually have to try and live up to the hype, until now it wasn't in print! Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete